About Bill Rainey
Living in Nelson, and working nationwide, I provide specialist dispute resolution services to help people resolve their intractable and prolonged disputes.
Using facilitation, mediation or adjudication, I ensure everyone involved has an opportunity to find creative solutions to their problems. This enables them to resolve their differences, build stronger relationships and work more profitably together.
My preferred style is to work with the disputing parties as soon as possible, to ensure that they have the best chance of reaching agreement.
Often this is not possible as disputes have become protracted and drawn out. In these situations, I apply careful and experienced dispute resolution skills to help them achieve successful outcomes.
I have a successful record of resolving hundreds of complex commercial, environmental and employment/workplace disputes over the past 35 years. I am a dispute resolution practitioner at FairWay Resolution Ltd which is New Zealand's largest specialist dispute resolution and conflict management organisation handling over 14,000 disputes per year. I am also an associate and mediation panel member of the Arbitrators' and Mediators' Institute of New Zealand and an accredited dispute resolution expert with the Mediation and Conciliation Network (Global).
Environmental Facilitation and Decision-making
My recent experience includes facilitating complex expert witness conferencing concerning inquiries into large scale developments including motorways, off-shore iron ore mining, wild river conservation. Previously I have been a decision-maker for many varied developments including lake lowering and flood relief for Queenstown (NZ), museum redevelopment in Christchurch (NZ), tourism ventures and sports facilities. I have carried out pro bono work for environmental groups relating to forest conservation, mining in conservation land, petrochemical industrial developments, indigenous and cultural values preservation.
Workplace and Employment
I have a thorough and practical understanding of workplace conflict and businesses change, including culture, operational and technology change. My experience has included extensive work in the development of leadership capability and team performance, 1:1 mentoring and coaching. I am an accredited expert practitioner of Team Management Services Ltd's (TMS) leadership and team diagnostic assessments and tools.
My roles have included:
- Barrister and Senior Resolution Practitioner, including work for FairWay Resolution Ltd (building/construction, insurance, earthquake and weathertight remediation, contract/commercial, financial services, resource management/environmental, workplace/employment, family trusts, ACC, financial services, property).
- Business Transformation Manager overseeing significant operational, technology and culture change programmes at Royal NZ Plunket Society Inc
- Membership of the AMINZ mediation panel
- Member of the Weathertight Homes Tribunal mediation panel - successfully mediating dozens of complex multiparty building insurance disputes.
- Research Partner at Henley Business School (UK) coaching and mentoring executive leaders in development of leadership agility.
- Visiting Specialist on management consulting at Plymouth University Business School (UK)
- Facilitating large scale public sector change programs (UK)
- Founding Director Concordia NZ and Concordia International specializing in workplace culture, conflict and change management technologies and practice
- Vice Chair LEADR NZ (now Resolution Institute) Board
- Independent Planning Hearings Commissioner
- Partnership in Nelson law firms Pitt & Moore and Eddington Jackson & Rainey
- Port Authority Board Member - Nelson Harbour Board
- Education, conservation and community leadership